Tuesday, May 20, 2008

From South to North and Back Again

I'm going to admit it in public: I cheated. On the South Jersey shore, that is. And had a blast doing it.

On Sunday, I drove from Cape May up to Union Beach, NJ, which is near the top of New Jersey's coast (most people would call that area Central Jersey, though these guys are the experts on that). From there, I proceeded to Sandy Hook, which is the most northern shore spot in New Jersey. I'd never been there before, and was amazed by everything there was to do.

Sandy Hook is undeveloped -- well, at least recently. It was an army base and still home to some military, but most of the area is dedicated to birding, surfing, swiming, and what I did, albeit it in the rain: kite flying.



I also checked out the History House, which is a restored 1898 lieutenant's residence along "Officers Row" re-done to reflect the World War II era. Here's a few shots:











After that, it was off to dinner at Moonstruck in Asbury Park. I couldn't tell you much about the moon that night, but there was a beautiful complete rainbow we could see from the restaurant's deck.





I had fun. That area of the shore is very new to me, so I'm still exploring, but I think I'll go back again.

Thanks to everyone who came out to Pop Shop quizzo last night. I had a blast! Hope the questions weren't too hard ;-)

Digg this

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If you ever need advice on the "central jersey" shore... hit me up. I grew up there.