Monday, July 23, 2007

A Little Piece of Mexico in Avalon

A big chunk of my book is dedicated to places to eat at the shore (tough job, I know). I found that most eateries fall into one of three categories: sandwich shop, pizza, Italian. I don't have a problem with any of these three types of restaurants, but I've had a heck of a time figuring out how to describe each one to make them sound unique.

That's one of the reasons I appreciate a place like Tortilla Flats (609-967-5658, 2540 Dune Drive, Avalon) -- that, and the stellar Mexican food served at this tiny BYOB.
They're so popular that they ordered a take-out only store up the street.
Start your night off with the tortilla chips, freshly warmed, and salsa (add a side of guacamole for an extra kick). The portions are larger than life, so you'll either be too hungry to eat until lunch the next day, have lunch in the form of leftovers -- or both. You can't beat the setting, either. Paper decorations hang from the ceilings, creating a cozy, low-ceiling feel, and the tiles are authentic Mexican. Don't worry about the BYOB problem if you want a margarita. They'll mix it up for you -- just add your own tequila.

Digg this

1 comment:

Coffeygrinds said...

i think my buddy Paul Brockman was involved with Tortilla Flats