Monday, January 24, 2011

Old news

Two caveats:

1. I love Marketplace. I try to listen every weekday, and I run to their weekend podcast.
2. I love Joel Rose's reports about the NJ/Philadelphia area.

But this story didn't strike a good chord. Why?

This is not a new story. This isn't even a new *concept.* Atlantic City has ALWAYS gone after conventions - hence the name the "Atlantic City Convention & Visitors Authority" as the group that runs tourism in the city.

Let's go back even further: Boardwalk Hall was built in 1926 to attract conventions.

I know this is a sexy lead right now because gambling revenues are so down in AC, but they've never not tried to bring conventions to the shore.

I'll get off my soap box now.

Digg this

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Atlantic City has become an exercise in repackaging old news in an attempt to spur new interest in a stale product. I have always struggled to understand why there isn't a more concerted effort around creating new stories. For starters, start building new products. And in the absence of capital dollars, create new events, programs, etc. to spark new interest in the city. There's too much great history in the area to let it fail.