Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Jersey Shore Fact of the Day 92: Ocean Grove allows BYOB

All this hullabaloo about some portions of Ocean City wanting to allow BYOB dining...I suggest someone turn northward and look at how Ocean Grove, which used to prohibit cars from being driven within its borders and *still* locks the gates between its town and Asbury Park at night, allowed BYOB. Because they do.

(Actually, I did suggest it to someone, and I think he's writing that story. I don't have time to do it - I'm working on 2012 shore features already - and I think it's best done by a news reporter than me. Anyway).

I was in Ocean Grove last night. I parked there for the Guster show at the Stone Pony in Asbury Parking. Parking in OG was free, and I met up with a friend of mine when I got into town who lives there. Together, we walked to the Watermark in Asbury Park for dinner.

That also meant I walked back to my car at about 10pm. No rowdy drunks carousing in the streets. No parties, etc. It was a very quiet, peaceful evening in a very quiet, peaceful town.

This BYOB this has been blown way out of proportion, and it's making Ocean City look like a town of petty buffoons. Do you think it looks good to visitors see the "Don't Change Ocean City" signs all over town? It didn't last weekend - and I'm sure it didn't to people who don't know much about the issue. You're taking yourselves WAY TOO SERIOUSLY. If this passes (which I don't think it will), it will not destroy the town. There's plenty of drinking in Ocean City, and it's visible too. Case in point: walking back from my Saturday morning Ocean City beach run, we passed a couple sitting a block from the boardwalk, on the sidewalk, drinking beers. At 10am.

A bit ranty, yes, but I'm tired. Got home around midnight from Guster, and was up at 5am to run this morning. And I resigned from my full time job this week, so sparks are flying everywhere. In regards to Ocean City/Ocean Grove, I'd be interested to see your thoughts in the comments below.

As always, tune into Ocean City Patch for the latest on the BYOB issue.

Digg this

2 comments:

Dave Schatz said...

The Guster show was top notch, excellent. Jen, thanks so much for letting us know about last nights show. It wasn't that crowded
and I hear that tonights show will be jammed. Awesome.

Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree more with your "rant" on the petty buffoonery in Ocean City regarding BYOB. Well said. Love this blog.