Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Hello, Thy Name is Earl

I'm not a meteorologist. I've written about one and dated another, but that doesn't make me a weather predictor, so I can't tell you where Hurricane Earl is going to go.

This picture is a good reference for me right now, enough to say "hey, let's all be careful out there, OK?"

Ann Delaney, who lives very close to the ocean in Stone Harbor, has tips on how to get ready. If you're down the shore today (as I will be - whee!), you must be careful of riptides. Here's a good primer on what to do if you're caught in one.

Digg this

4 comments:

iconjohn said...

The last good hurricane to threaten South Jersey was around 76 and Mom took us back home to Bala Cynwyd. Heard that the old Hahnns Bar in Stone Harbor was packed.
Hurricane Bob in 91 was a bust.

Jen A. Miller said...

John - I remember Hurricane Bob, too. I was down the shore for that one and sorely disappointed (I was 11 - didn't realize that it being bad would be bad).

Ann Delaney said...

Hurricane Gloria in 1985 was the most recent I remember with mandatory evacuations. It was an awful feeling- we had days to prepare, and worry. Thankfully, minimal damage/flooding. The Delaware bay communities saw more damage than the barrier islands. Our storms are facinating to watch- but we also need to respect the power of the ocean/wind!

Jen A. Miller said...

I went to college in Tampa, and the first full month of classes, I had to evacuate my dorm because of a hurricane. Not exactly the welcome I hoped for.