Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Historic Smithville

As promised, here's a link to the Smithville piece for New Jersey Monthly.

It's an interesting town. Both me and and my editor were perplexed about the addresses -- every store and restaurant has the same one. The only difference is the "shop" number, which explains why the addresses look a bit repetitive in this article.

You can read about the history of the town in the article, but let's just say that it didn't look this way when Fred and Ethel Noyes founded it. I'm not sure if I would recommend staying overnight in Smithville -- you could shop the place in a day. But it has a quaint, village-esque feel, and I liked watching the roosters roam the property like so many power shoppers. I loved the SmithvilleBakery (615 E Mossmill Rd, Shop 20, 609-652-6471). It was probably the most colonial looking thing in the bunch.

In another housekeeping note, I just signed up for Goodreads.com. I love it -- makes me think about what books I have and should maybe look into re-reading. If you'd like to check out what I've got, or want to 'friend' me, click here. I have a myspace page, too. That's here.

What I'm Listening to: A Different Light by Sherwood.

Digg this

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We used to go here when I was a child. Thx for stopping by my Surviving NJ blog. We actually just spent the weekend on LBI, it was fabulous. We are familiar with Cape May, we were actually in Wildwood in August, and usually drive over to Cape May for a short bit. Cheers, Deb

Sue said...

i've been to smithville!