Thursday, April 29, 2010

Marathon weekend

Runners, on your mark! Get ready! It's New Jersey Marathon Weekend!

This is a bitter sweet post for me since I had to drop out of the marathon, and now it looks like I might not be able to do the Long Branch Marathon, either (the two events are held on the same course at the same time).

Why? Well, I've been having some health problems, which I don't want to go into here. I'm going to be fine, but it's made running more challenging.

I thought I'd be able to gut it through until I saw the weather forecast. It might have been chilly this morning, but the prediction for Long Branch is 87 degrees on Saturday and 81 degrees on Sunday.

Yikes. When you train in cold weather, jumping into summer heat isn't the best idea. Your body isn't used to it. I know mine's not - I'm not a hot weather runner, either.

So I might do it, I might not. Go ahead and call me a wuss. It's OK. I feel that way, too.

Whether I run or not, I'll be spending the weekend in the Ocean Grove/Asbury Park area, and I'm stoked. The more I visit, the more I want to go back, and the idea of spending two summery days there with no work agenda is borderline thrilling. You bet I've got my beach chair packed in the back of my car, ready to be planted on the beach on Saturday.

Anyone else running on Sunday? And what are you thoughts about the weather?

Digg this

No comments: