Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Speaker's Bureau

On Friday, I spoke on a panel about getting your business into print for the Jersey Shore Public Relations & Advertising Association.

I was glad the group reached out because I like speaking about the things you should (personalize your pitch) and should not (attach the release as a file instead of putting the message in the body of the email) do when pitching a writer, but I was surprised by the people in the audience: not one was from the South Jersey shore.

Granted, the meeting was in West Long Branch, which is far from my normal stomping grounds. But I thought maybe I'd get an Atlantic City person or two. No matter. I always enjoy meeting with other writers and editors, and talking to a group of people who care about what I have to say (as opposed to me sending pitches to editors that get lost in the internet oblivion).

It also gave me the chance to sharpen up my speaking skills as I'll be presenting to a few of the South Jersey shore chambers of commerce closer to the date of the book release. So here's my question to you: where else do you think I should look for speaking engagements related to the book and/or travel writing?

What I'm listening to: Z by My Morning Jacket
What I'm reading: Rules of the Game by Neil Strauss. Wondering why? Click here.

Digg this

No comments: