Monday, April 21, 2008

Spotted: Boston, Brooklyn and Beyond

The first "spotted" comes courtesy of Carlin Reagan, who snapped a picture of the book on her bookshelf in Boston:



Carlin, a freelance TV producer, and I went to college together. She would work on the Moroccan, the University of Tampa yearbook, while I toiled away at the Minaret, the University of Tampa newspaper, across the hall. We'd visit a lot. Her office had turtles, and mine did not.

Carlin re-found me via this blog and my book blog, and it's been fun getting back in touch. "I’ve really enjoyed following your blogs, and the process of creating your book. It makes reading it a much richer experience," she wrote. "In my non-literary opinion, I think you have definitely found your voice as a writer. Very well done, you should be so proud of yourself!"

Her picture was quickly followed by writing-and-running blogger Abra of Abra Goes. Here's a picture of the book at the Park Slope Barnes and Noble:



And being carried on the streets of Brooklyn:



Her favorite part, so far, is the page dedicated to Wawa.

I also have a confession to make: I cheated on the South Jersey shore this weekend. Yes, I have 1.5 sunburnt legs and two sunburnt feet, but they don't come from taking a nap on the beach in Avalon or Stone Harbor or Cape May. I went up the shore and visited Deal and Asbury Park for the first time, and Ocean Grove for the first time in 15 years. I should have been working, but I couldn't turn down the first really summery day of the beach, or the chance to check out the legendary Stone Pony. I've been so busy trying to promote the book and freelance (I still have that mortgage after all), that I needed the break, and it was wonderful. It's not my shore, but I'm glad I got a brief tour of the other part of New Jersey's coast. Plus, I picked up a few places to write about, AND I worked on Sunday (so calm down dear editors who know I'm on deadline this week).

While I was in the area, I stopped at the Borders in Eatontown and, lo and behold, they had the book:



I asked the manager if I could sign and few copies, and he was happy to have me put my signature on the books.



This leads me to thing most people have asked me about so far: yes, that's a picture of a nun on a surfboard. She's at Nun's Beach in Stone Harbor, which is the site of a big surfing tournament every year.

I also got word today that Amazon.com sent around a blast email today along the lines of "You bought X, so you might also like to buy The Jersey Shore by Jen A. Miller." How cool is that?!

Thanks to Carlin and Abra for sending in their pictures. I'd be happy to post yours, too -- drop me a line at jenmiller27 [at] gmail [dot] com!

Quick reminder: If you're the Jamiee who posted a shore memory, please email me your address so I can send you your winning copy of my book!

Digg this

No comments: