Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Birthday Bonanza

My birthday is July 19. It is my last birthday in my 20s, so I have decided to celebrate in appropriate fashion: On July 18, I will be attending the No Shower Happy Hour at the Ocean Drive in Sea Isle City.

If you've never been, here's the skinny: at 4pm, the OD opens its doors and offers $1 bottles from 4-6pm, $2 bottles from 6-8pm and $2 Kool-ade all day, all set to Go Go Gadget, a cover band that does a pretty good Lady GaGa cover. Since the OD doesn't have many windows, it looks like 1am in there by about 6. It's the kind of thing 21 year olds find extremely exciting. If you've ever walked by the main drag in Sea Isle around 8pm on a Saturday, you'll see patrons from this beer special invading Wawa and trapeezing down the sidewalk.

It's like wanting to watch a bad movie. You know it's going to be cheesy, which is why you go.

So if you're in the area and want to come, I'll be there. We've got a group of about six right now. My tip: wear closed-toe shoes you don't mind getting dirty. The floor is quickly coated in a grimy mix of spilled beer and dirt. Also, casual wear is best. I'll be in old gray shorts, a navy blue "Bellmawr Baseball" t-shirt and old running shoes. Will you see girls decked out to the nines? Sure. But considering how crowded and dirty it gets in there? The old running shoes are more appropriate.

I will probably have a very tasteful and appropriate celebration for my 30th birthday next year. But until then? Why not go for something silly?

Fun fact: Matt McCulley, who runs the Sea Isle Tri for our Veterans, met his wife while working at the OD.

Digg this

No comments: