Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Breaded

Today I was in Atlantic City with the photographer of a Canadian inflight magazine - he's in the area to photograph both Jersey Shore articles I'm writing for their summer issues.

After trudging up and down a cold, wet, rainy Boardwalk, I took him to the White House Sub Shop for lunch. He loved it and said the place is amazing.

And then the sandwiches came out.

Then he was flabberghasted and, after finishing half of his half serving (those two in the picture make up one whole), he said it was one of the best sandwiches he's ever had, in large part because of the bread.

I've heard this from people who've moved out of the region: that bread or pizza anywhere else isn't the same. I never noticed this when I lived in Tampa during college. Then again, I'm not a huge sandwich, cheesesteak or pizza fan. (I'm not Unamerican. I swear. My body just doesn't call out for those meals. They're more like a special treat.)

What is it about the water here that makes for amazing breads? Any ideas? Help me out, foodies!

Also - the Pier Shops at Caesars now has a Crocs store. Awesome. And stop giving me that look. They're comfortable. And when do you ever see my feet that they'd offend you?

Digg this

3 comments:

Leah Ingram said...

Yum! You're making me hungry!

It would be an interesting experiment to find out what chemical components are in East Coast water that make the bread so good.

Leah

Karen Stoner, LMT said...

I actually saw something similar on Food Network. They had a New York Pizzeria make several identical pizzas with the only difference in ingredient was waters from all around the country in the dough. The "panel" was able to identify the New York pizza (obviously), but also did notice a distinct difference in all the others. So it was determined that yes, water makes a difference in how food from a certain area can make bread taste different.

Anonymous said...

Atlantic County has one of the top 5 cleanest water systems in the country, if I'm not mistaken..