Thursday, March 10, 2011

More on DMB and those three-day passes

Sorry to overload you with this music news, but the DMB Caravan festival in Atlantic City is drawing huge amounts of attention. Plus, I've gotten more question about this than anything else I've covered in the almost four years of running this blog.

The Press of Atlantic City has an excellent piece about the concert, including the three-day pass only option. They're also not going to let anyone camp out.

It's not hard to see through the quotes as to why they're doing this: they want people to stay and spend in Atlantic City.

A lot of good points are raised in the comments: At $195 for a three day pass plus two nights at full summer prices for hotel rooms, are they really going to be able to draw enough people to this thing? To go to the concert is going to be expensive. I'm even considering not going if I can't get a press pass. So consider:

$195 for pass (and that's without fees and taxes)
$300 per night for a room for a total of $600
$100 for food

I'm already up to $895. Of course, I'd cut down on that price by sharing the hotel room, and I'm getting emails from people looking to stuff four to six people into a room to make this affordable.

So while I think this is great for Atlantic City, I'm concerned that they're pricing a lot of people out of this. I know DMB doesn't tour much anymore, and his die hard fans will pay this no matter what, but is this really the right way to go about things?

I don't know.

Digg this

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Eddie Vedder is rolling over in his grave and he's not dead yet. I come to AC probably 6 - 10 times a year and got married there. And because of hotels prices, already exceeding past rates in April we will not be staying. And now this? Are you listening AC?

If ticket sales remain low, they will start offering individual day passes IMHO. It is just a question if fans have the fortitude to wait this out.

Jen, I feel if you can connect with these bands' fan online communities and get some of their web traffic here, you could guide them as to the best hotel deals and ways to save money.

Something needs to be done.

Jen A. Miller said...

Steve - I'm trying to do this on an individual basis. I do have more affordable options, but the problem is going to be: driving, parking, traffic. I mean, you could stay in a campground, but then you'd have to get to the concert. The shuttle buses are a decent option, but that's a lot of bus time.

I'm not always a cynical person, but I have a feeling that the three-day pass was a stipulation put in there by AC officials (and one of the commentors points to the mayor). It seems boneheaded. I agree, though, that if sales aren't what they want, one-day passes are an option, which is why the language is "most likely will not be."

I'm actually leaning toward not going at this point, especially if I can't get a press pass. I love a lot of the bands playing - Thievery Corporation is the best show I've seen in the last 10 years. But that's a lot of money to shell out.

JWOW said...

They will definitely do one day passes. I am just hoping that atleast 2 of the acts I want to see perform on the same date.

Steve said...

Well there are some motels in Somers Point and hotels in Ocean City. The 507 bus leaves every hour even in the wee hours: http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0507.pdf

I felt like an idiot having lived in Somers Point for 3 years and not having know about this until the last year. Saved me some cab fares in that last year.

But, more likely, I'll spend my money on the ATP festival in Asbury Park.

Jen A. Miller said...

Steve, yeah ATP is in the works here, too. Well, in covering it I mean. I'll be in Asbury this weekend working on a story that will include it, in fact.