Friday, May 9, 2008

Your Shore Weekend

The biggest thing about this weekend down the shore is that just about everything will be open. Why? Mother's Day, of course! We'd flirted with the idea of taking mom down the shore, but we're going to stick close to home and BBQ -- makes everyone happy all around.

But if you are headed down this weekend, here's what you can do:

It's the World Series of Birding!!!!! How fun does this sound: teams of birders start up in North Jersey and have 24 hours to identify as many birds as possible. They end in Cape May. Okay, that might sound a little crazy, but not when you read about it in Scott Weidensaul's Of a Feather. I could have gone, but the stars (or birds) were not aligned this year. Have fun, teams!

Got plants? Want more? Check out the plant swap at the Nature Center of Cape May on Saturday.

In Ocean City, shops on Asbury Avenue and the boardwalk are giving out flowers to moms.

There's also a mother's day concert in Ocean City on Sunday. It'll be at the Music Pier, Moorlyn Terrace at 4pm, and it's free!

And the most important thing in Ocean City, of course, is that Dixie Picnic's open. Upcakes for all!

Regina Spektor is playing at the House of Blues in Atlantic City on Saturday night.

Also on Saturday, Wayne Brady will be performing at the Borgata. I saw him in concert a few years ago -- good stuff. Not quite Wayne-Brady-on-Chapelle-Show, but not as cleaned up as Wayne-Brady-on-Whose-Line-Is-It-Anyway.

The East Coast National Boardwalk Car show parks itself on the Wildwood boardwalk all weekend.

And, finally, I'll be signing copies of my book as part of Manayunk's Second Saturday. I'll be outside the Manayunk Brewing Company. I know, I know, it's not the shore, but if you need a last minute Mother's Day gift...I'll be out there starting at noon. It's a PAWS themed event, too, doggie lovers. Details here.

Speaking of dogs, here's a better picture of Emily in her bag from the Doo Dah Parade:



Big difference when the pictures are taken by a pro!

Digg this

1 comment:

Claudine M. Jalajas said...

I've been enjoying your blog. I haven't been down to the shore in NJ since I was a little girl. My father took me often. We have shores here on LI that we frequent constantly but they are very different that NJ.