Wednesday, July 30, 2008

August Events

Exciting news! I have two big events in August that I would normally wait until next week to tell you about, but, what the heck, they're too much fun.

On August 6, I will be a judge at the Miss Crustacean Hermit Crab Beauty Pageant in Ocean City. Oh, yes, you've really reached the pinnacle of local celebrity when the challenge of picking the fairest beauty of them from a field of pampered crabs. There's a lot at stake, too -- a grand prize of $35 and the Cucumber Rind Cup. “The excitement is palatable,” exclaimed Mark Soifer, founder of the Miss Crustacean Pageant and president of NASCRAB (The National Association of Crab Activities at the Beach) told the Cape May County Herald. My heart is already racing. If that's not enough, check out the hermit crab race held after the pageant. Sure to rival NASCAR.

On August 9, I will be helping to kick off the Brendan Borek High Tides Memorial Fund week with a book signing at Pale Moon Boutique in Avalon. 100% of the proceeds from the book signing are going to Brendan's Fund. Yes, I said 100%, so if you haven't gotten your copy or want to buy some for Christmas gifts, that would be the time (though if you plan on buying -- say -- 30 books that Saturday, please do let me know so I can make sure to bring enough!)

It's a great organization -- they give financial assistance to families who have a child with cancer. They pay for everything from travel expenses to Philadelphia for doctors appointments; groceries; rent and mortgage; back to school supplies. If you can't make it to the signing, there's a whole week of events -- the entire line up is here.

Exciting stuff! See, I told you I had some good events lined up for August. I'll also be taking a vacation (so I say -- it's hard not to work while I'm there) from August 9-12 (and, yes, I'm still hoping for a longer stay in September [that's for my mom and dad who think I work too much). Expect a lot of pictures!

Digg this

No comments: