Friday, July 25, 2008

Your Shore Weekend

Weather's supposed to be gorgeous at the Jersey Shore this weekend. I was trying to sneak out today for some beach time, but my brothers are coming in from NYC and DC, so I'll be staying local.

In any case, here's what's going on:

PEACH FESTIVAL! OK, the Gloucester County 4H Fair and Peach Festival isn't quite at the Jersey Shore, but it is on the way if you take Route 55 to the shore. I visited yesterday (and if I hadn't dropped my camera and had to use my mom's then realize I didn't have the right cables, there would be pictures on the blog -- I hope to put them up by Monday), and had tons of fun. Information's here. If you can't get to the festival, look out for those roadside stands selling produce. It's prime peach season. And try to get a pit popper. I picked one up yesterday, and it takes care of that peach pit problem.

Aretha Franklin's performing at the Borgata tonight.

Also tonight Donna Summer at Caesars and Gov't Mule at the House of Blues. Summer is also playing on Saturday night.

Fan of The King? Then check out tonight's Ultimate Elvis Tribute Artist Contest at Resorts.

Whoopi Goldberg will be at Harrah's on Saturday (on a sad note, George Carlin was scheduled to perform Saturday night as well -- RIP).

PAULA DEAN! She'll be putting mayonnaise into every recipe possible at Caesars on Sunday.

Cahal Dunne’s Grand To Be Irish Show is in Ocean City tonight.

Saturday in Ocean City is the 44th Annual Miss Hemisphere Pageant.

It's War at the Shore time in Sea Isle City. No, not real war -- it's a rugby tournament. (And if you missed it yesterday, here's my video about Sea Isle City -- also lots of info about Wawa)

In Avalon, there's two reggae concerts on Saturday, one at noon and one at 7pm.

Wildwood's hosting an Ultimate Frisbee tournament this weekend.

If you've got kids (or are a kid at heart), there's a Radio Disney Concert in Wildwood on Saturday.

And in Cape May, check out the Captain Kidd hunt on Saturday and Sunday.

Oh, and it's shark week:

Digg this

3 comments:

wildwoodwaitress said...

Hi Jen,

Recently discovered your blog, and today received the new issue of AARP mag with Sidney Poitier on the cover.

When I opened it, there was a several-page piece by Perry Garfinkel on his attempt to reconnect with his Jersey shore roots. He toured the route from Perth Amboy to Cape May, with stops in between.

I thought you'd like to know, if you don't already, that your book is mentioned in a sidebar on AC compiled by Laura Daly on pg 90.

Since I exiled myself to the West decades ago, I pine every summer for the special sights and smells of the Jersey shore.

Unlike Mr. Garfinkel, I always wished I was from New Jersey (grew up in Levittown, PA, and summered in the Wildwoods) and still do.

Thanks for posting the comings and goings of my favorite part of the world.

Best wishes,
Michele Picozzi

Jen A. Miller said...

Hi Michele! Thanks for stopping by. I talked to Perry back as he was researching this AARP article, so I'm looking forward to reading it. Thank you for letting me know that Laura included my book! I remember speaking with her but wasn't sure if my book would make the cut.

Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

The shore weather absolutely WAS beautiful this weekend. I posted a photo from LBI's Sunday morning sunrise here: http://www.justingaynor.com/index.php?showimage=395