Thursday, July 31, 2008

News Update

Two very interesting stories just came across my desk, so here's an addition to yesterday's "News from Around the South Jersey Shore:

1. Two former "Borgata Babes" have won a lawsuit against the Borgata in a sex discrimination lawsuit to the tune of $70 million. I remember when this first hit the media -- I had just started freelancing and was writing an article about a $50 hamburger sold at the Borgata's Old Homestead Restaurant. The job had a weight-limit policy where you could get fired if you gained more than seven percent of your body weight. Borgata folks were all "oh, they're making a big deal over nothing, ha ha, disgruntled workers, blah blah blah." Oh, really? It sounded pretty dodgy to me (and smacked of Mad Men-esque gender treatment). I'd considered going undercover and seeing what it was really like working as a Borgata Babe, but the marketing people already knew me, so I don't think I could have gotten through. I'm not saying I agree with a $70 million payout, but, well, karma works in mysterious ways. Read the full report here.

2. Michael Wax was kicked out of the Borgata because he stunk, and he's not happy about it. Why'd he stink? Because he played poker for 17 hours straight.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: AC is one strange place.

Digg this

No comments: