Friday, July 18, 2008

Your Shore Weekend

It's going to be steamy all over the place this weekend. If the heat's too much (or even if it's not), here's what else you can do down the shore.

The big event! Lucy the Elephant is celebrating a birthday! On Sunday, the ol' gal will be 127 (but doesn't look a day over 99). To celebrate, the fine folks who keep Lucy in shape are throwing a party that involves, among other things, a moon bounce (not sure if Lucy is light enough to jump on it, though).

The concert of the weekend in Atlantic City is Elton John at Boardwalk hall on Saturday.

For laughs: Brad Garrett is playing the Borgata and Eddie Griffin will be at the House of Blues on Saturday.

Michael McDonald will be at the Trump Taj Mahal on Saturday.

The Ocean City Pops are playing a concert on Sunday night.

I loved to boogie board as a kid (and, ok, still do). This'll be perfect others who love it, too: boogie board races in Wildwood.

Also in Wildwood, there'll be a Christmas in July Boat Parade on Saturday.

The Vietnam Vetrans traveling wall is in Wildwood this weekend.

It's Night in Venice time in Ocean City -- the annual boat parade takes place on Saturday. I went for the first time last year, and if you'll allow me a tangent: On Night in Venice day of 2007, I was in the thick of researching my book. The plan was to a Night in Venice party on the bay with my father and his now wife after I was done for the day. I had a shore house in Avalon last year, so I drove up to Ocean City early in the morning to research shopping on Asbury Avenue.

It was an incredibly hot day -- I parked my car at 9am and was soaked with sweat by 9:15am. I had breakfast while watching the jam up getting on and off the 34th street bridge (rental houses change over on Saturdays and create massive traffic jams), then walked the streets, stopping in every shop and restaurant. One of my last stops was Sun Rose Words & Music. I was so dehydrated and exhausted by the time I got there that, when I saw a sign about local author signings, I blurted out "I'm an author" to the first person I saw. I don't blame her for giving me a funny look, but once I caught my breath and some air conditioning, I explained what I working on, and they were the first people to offer me a book signing. I took a nap and a shower at my dad's B&B room after that and had a nice time at the Night in Venice party after. Apparently I was rested enough to go out in Avalon that night because by the time I got back to the shore house, I was ready to go out again.

I've thought a lot about what the shore means to people over the last few months. I was too busy writing the book last summer to really think about it, and now that this summer is mostly dedicated to work stuff about the shore, I sometimes feel like I'm missing out on what I love best about the shore -- I won't be doing a house for a summer or a week, and I'm not going to Night in Venice this year. But I'm hoping to get some time in down the shore on September (and I might not even write about it!)

Though I have to say I have a good reason to not be at Night in Venice. Saturday is my birthday, and celebrations are planned! So have a nice time at the shore, and stay cool any way you can!

Digg this

3 comments:

PearlyWrites, LLC said...

Yes, I spent many summers boogie boarding in Wildwood! The races are so much fun and just Wildwood was always an awesome place to hang out all summer walking the boards at all hours. :)

Don't know if Sam's Pizza is there any more but WOW, I always loved eating there and of course the curly fries.

Thanks for posting; it brings back wonderful memories of the shore and my childhood.

Lisa
http://PearlyWrites.com
@PearlyWrites

Larry said...

Happy b'day Jen. I hope you have a great day. And thanks for this blog.

ZoeyBella said...

Happy Birthday, Jen! I owe you a drink one of these days!