Friday, December 12, 2008

The Running of the Santas

Before I get started on the Running of the Santas: tonight is the Beef & Beer for Brian Hickey, freelance journalist and former managing editor of the Philadelphia City Paper, who was the victim of a hit & run in Collingswood. The good news is that he's coming out of the coma -- his wife asked him to give their friend the finger, and he did -- but getting hurt ain't cheap. So if you'd like to come out tonight or give a donation, click here for details.

Now onto something very silly: as I've mentioned before, Saturday night is the Running of the Santas at the Tropicana. Here's the website that has all the details, including times, tickets and bar specials.

The thing that cracks me up about this version of the Running of the Santas is that they'll be chasing Hooters girls. It's ridiculous, but I hope to be there to check out the fun. If I go, I don't think I'll be participating (hi, I have to drive home, and I really don't drink much anymore), but I will be there sporting my favorite holiday t-shirt ever.

Have no interesting in drinking as Santa and/or chasing bikini babes? Then you might want to check out the Trop's Holiday Spectacular.

I haven't been into Atlantic City proper for a while. I was hoping to get there on Wednesday but plans changed and I made it as far as the Atlantic City Country Club (where I met the print ad model for Bellezza Salons, who talked to me and texted Deion Sanders at the same time...she was nice though and it must be cool to have your face on a gift bag...wait, MY face is on a purse in Cape May but I haven't gotten a picture of it yet...anyway...) for an eWomenNetwork event. Depending on when I get into town, I want to take a look at what's left of the Atlantic City Hilton. Rumor is that they'll shut down entirely after New Year's.

That is, of course, if winter doesn't wash across the region and keep me holed up in my house watching White Christmas. Again. Not a bad prospect, but I think it's time to head back down the shore!

Also...since I just wrote a blog post about the 5 Myths of Freelance Writing (that got a record number of hits -- apparently, I need to post about freelance writing and pictures of me in a gold dress to really up traffic), I have two section cover articles in today's Philadelphia Inquirer: a piece about DIY holiday gifts for Weekend and an article about decorating your tree for free for Home & Design featuring Leah Ingram of The Lean Green Family.

And did anyone else catch the mention of the Borgata on 30 Rock last night? I hope they didn't pay for that considering they just laid off 400 people.

Digg this

No comments: