Thursday, January 8, 2009

I WILL Take that Midnight Train to Georgia


I didn't get to play Simon, Randy or Paula -- just Jen -- but I still had a blast judging AtlantiCare Idol on Thursday night.

The night started with my first trip to Richard Stockton College of New Jersey, which on a cold winter night is sort of an eerie drive through the woods. It reminded me of a horror movie or at least the Jersey Devil hunt (which, let's be honest, is done at the speed of Girl Scouts instead of Saw).

Once I got to the performing art's center, the fine folks from AtlantiCare led me backstage to a cacophony of noise and contestants getting ready for the competition. We had pirates (Susan Fisher Brown & Family), a lady in red (Kimberly Nasseredine), the "Nursettes" practicing their dance routine with Nancy Hayes, and a lot of glitter. It reminded me a bit of this:



For the next few hours, we were entertained by singing and dancing from the staff. What a great idea! Could you imagine seeing your boss belting out "When I Fall in Love" (Jaime Pinter) or giving a full out performance of "Wanna Be Startin' Something" (La'Quinta Price) with wig and silver eyelashes included? I used to work at a hospital, and what fun that would have been!

The winner was Nancy Hayes (and her "Nursettes," of course), singing a very soulful "Midnight Train to Georgia." She was so good that she sang it twice, which is why I had it in my head the whole drive home. Congrats much to Hayes, who not only won a trophy but an extra week of vacation time. And who doesn't want that?

A few other blog notes to share:

1. Friend of the blog Steve Chernoski has been getting quite a bit of media attention with the upcoming Eagles/Giants game. Check out his blog to see what's cooking.

2. Got nothing to do Saturday night? Then come out to the second Brian Hickey fundraiser. It's at the Pen & Pencil, a member's only club. It's got, um, character. That's all I'll say.

3. Ocean Drive 10 Miler training starts -- at least for me -- on January 19. Anyone else planning to do that run or the full marathon? Let me know. Need inspiration? Click here.

Digg this

No comments: