Monday, May 18, 2009

Keyed In



That is a beach somewhere in the Florida Keys. I saw somewhere because I don't remember, somewhere between Key West and Islemarada. That's the kind of vacation it was, one without schedules or plans -- a freewheeling, relaxing time that felt too short. In keeping with the "I AM ON VACATION" theme, I'll do a quick post with pictures today...and jump right back into the Jersey Shore tomorrow.

We started our adventure by flying out of Atlantic City into Ft. Lauderdale and driving to Key West. It's a fun ride -- lots of wacky things to see on the roadside, and an array of people enjoying what the Florida Keys have to offer. We stayed at the Paradise Inn, which was lovely. I would absolutely stay there again.









We only had a day and a half in Key West, but we saw a lot, included a Pirated version of a Phillies flag at Pat Croce's Rum Barrel:



It was very pretty but HOT. I tried running on Friday morning and ended up taking a "break" at minute 12 that involved sitting on the concrete and forgetting where I was for a moment. I think it was scarier for Bill than me, but a heaping dose of water and oranges made up for it.

More prettiness:







We also checked out the Ernest Hemingway Home & Museum, which was fascinating and pretty -- and overrun with six toe cats.



We're told all the cats on the property are descendants of Snowball, Hemingway's six toe cat. Weird.

Then we headed up to Islamorada, where we spent there rest of the trip doing...nothing. Absolutely. Nothing. It was a very fun trip, even with the heat. I know it'll get hotter here in the summer, but my body's not quite ready for it yet. It was a good place to visit. I'm not sure I could live there year round, but it was a nice break between the craziness that was shore article deadlines and the summer to come.

Digg this

No comments: