Friday, June 3, 2011

Book Signing with a Dose of Fashion


On Thursday, I had my first signing/tweet up at the Princeton in Avalon. In the photo are Ann Delaney of Ann Delaney Beach and Erin Visalli of Relax Concierge.

Fun times! We couldn't have asked for a better night, though the gnats were pretty bad.

For all of those who have enjoyed the fashion posts, keep on reading. If not (and I'm looking at you, Doug Bergen), you can flip over to something else.

The dress is a 1960s Jonathan Logan orange silk mod tent dress, bought on impulse from Couture Allure. I say impulse because I didn't know how it would look. When worn according to fashion at the time, it looks like this:


I'm a bit curvy, and shapes like this tend to not work on me. But then I saw this picture:


Bingo! That's how I wore it. I don't have a full length shot, though the aforementioned Doug of Ocean City Patch does, so I'll link to it when that story goes live. The orange is even more vibrant in person. Great impulse buy.

You can't really see it, but I'm also wearing this bracelet stacked with a Lagos cuff.


How could I *not* wear my New Jersey charm bracelet to this event?

And SHOES. You can somewhat see them in this iPhone picture (thanks Erin):


Two weeks ago, I was pulling together last pieces of my book launch party, which included a full length slip (SO HARD TO FIND THESE DAYS) and shoes. The dress is an aqua 1970s maxi dress, so I wanted gold. Heels or flats? I ordered two pairs, both more expensive than any other shoes I own (EXCEPT running shoes, which my brain says don't count), and both from a company I've never bought from before. But you know what? I ended up keeping them both. A book is a good excuse right?

Here's the heels, which I wore last night:


Yes, Juicy Couture. The shoe's name is Fernanda. I saw these while I was in New York for Book Expo America. They're more gold in person, and I've worn them a few times now when I want to be a little bit taller.

The second pair:


Also Juicy Couture, this time called Finny. They're gold with a seashell on them. How could I NOT try them on? I've worn them a few times too, and if you see me this summer down the shore, there's a good chance you'll see them on me too.

I didn't buy EVERY gold shoe I saw. These were cute but not for me:


These are called Frankie, and they're cute, but I don't want to flip flop all over the place.

One more, though not shore related: I didn't get home until midnight last night, and I'm pretty beat this morning, so I slipped on a comfy dress:


Guess what: also vintage!

And the original photo that caught my eye:


And yes I now realize that y'all know my dress sizes, but eh. It's worth it to share the photo.

So, readers who are still reading (I know, Doug, that you're gone) - what will YOU be wearing down the shore this summer?

Digg this

1 comment:

Babette said...

LOve all the fashion stuff, from bracelet to shoes shoes shoes to latest dress...that dress is classic but with that twist of buttons clustered into pairs...love that little touch!

Keep em coming. YOu might even have just tuned me into vintage online dress shopping...hmmm. Danger ahead.