Monday, July 18, 2011

Jersey Shore Fact of the Day 75: Boardwalk Hall was an Architectural Marvel of its Time

Hey there! I'm on vacation, so I pre-wrote the fact of the day posts for the week. So if there's some breaking Jersey Shore news that I'm not covering on here, it's probably because I'm in a beach chair somewhere blissed out.

Today's fact of the day comes from Atlantic City. Did you know that Boardwalk Hall was, at the time it was built, the largest auditorium in the world to be built without post or pillars? It's true! It opened in 1929 as a marvel of modern architecture.

It has a long and storied history. My favorite fact: it's the only place the Beatles ever played in Atlantic City. They escaped the crowds by leaving the building in a laundry truck.

P.S. Hey, I write about running! This is from the August issue of Runner's World.

P.S.s. Today's my birthday. I'm a Cancer, so I feel the need to point that out.

Digg this

No comments: